A Half Commute

My regular running commute has been on the back burner for a while. I started at my new placement a few weeks ago which has pushed the required running distance to 13 miles, part of which covers a portion of the West’s very own murder mile, or in fact murder 12 miles. Needless to say I haven’t been rushing to try it out. Today I was based at the Royal College of Psychiatrists in Aldgate and it just so happens to make a far more scenic 13 mile commute.

When I left the house this morning, the forecast was still for horrendous thunder storms over London, so I packed my running clobber and a little umbrella. I was impressed that my asics running pack has a special slot for an umbrella, but really, did I actually intend to run with one? Seems I did. Crappy forecast though – it was a scorcher.

536505293 a20334c09a m A Half Commute

I started running from Tower Bridge and then proceeded to weave myself in and out of all the hot and sticky tourists on the south bank.

I’d drained my water bottle by Westminster Bridge and was wondering if I should have considered Gu’s or gels for my impromptu half marathon attempt. I didn’t have any so I compromised with a Solero Exotic ice cream and a bottle of water – shocking £2.50 down the drain but I bet those sachets of slime aren’t cheap either.

Resisted meeting the OGB slacker for a pint at St Thomas’ and picked up a few partner yoga tips instead.536396934 ccd17403d6 A Half Commute

Now then, given my previous max mileage was something like 10.67 km, it would have been foolish to jump straight up to a 13 mile (20 km) run and I have to say that I didn’t really intend to run the whole way home. Trouble is I didn’t have that many alternatives sorted out – there aren’t that many tubes near the river and I never look or smell my best after a 10k run in the heat so I’d probably be blocked from entering by the sniffer dogs.

I got up to my 10k barrier and started walking a bit and then started running a bit and then I started to notice that my toenails were peeling away from the nail bed and my shins were hurting and my hip was hurting and….

You get the picture, I was in moaning minnie phase and it continued until I got to Hammersmith and decided to fish out the oyster card and hop on the bus that takes me to my local chippy. I managed a final little hobble trying to get my feast home before it got too steamy in the bag. Finished the day jolly satisfied with my can of cold stella and a whopping plate of fish and chips.

Total non bus assisted distance (dotted line) was 16 km or 10 miles. Quite a long bloody way but I have some work to do before the Cabbage Patch 10 in October.

536926845 7001388303 A Half Commute

poweredby A Half Commute

• jogblog 9 June, 2007, 7:58 am

I’ve been waiting for this post since I read on your Facebook page you were going to do a new running commute. 10 miles after work on a Friday is hardcore. Not as hardcore as drinking Stella though. Even I can’t do that.

• warriorwoman 9 June, 2007, 8:05 am

Not a good plan slotting in a long run on Friday cos now I’m too stiff to do BPTT.
    As for Stella, there is an unhealthy attachment going on there.

• No wetsuit girl 9 June, 2007, 12:08 pm

I love the idea of you running in an umbrella. It doubles as a weapon when breaking through chunks of smelly, sweaty, sludgy tourists (believe me, this is important). Yeah, okay, you took the bus this time, but you almost made it and maybe next time you won’t be such a pussy ;).

Keep on trucking!

• Rach 9 June, 2007, 1:43 pm

You must of slept so well lastnight.

• londonjogger 9 June, 2007, 7:38 pm

blimey that looks such a long way on the map ….

• Kieren 9 June, 2007, 8:20 pm

WOW!

That’s so hardcore! TEN miles on a Friday after work!

Well done. I’m guessing you didn’t race BPTT today then?

• JoggerBlogger 9 June, 2007, 9:25 pm

Nice work :-)

Hats off to all you London runners – City running is hard work, you can never just run where you want to run, there always seems to be someone in the way.

Stella and Chips on a Friday night BLISS.

PS – the Juneathon invite must have got lost in the post ;-) I gave Jogblog it to post to you last month.

• kathy 10 June, 2007, 10:13 am

I find it really entertaining that you call me hard core, when you go out running for forever! Well done on the commute and a very smart move not to run it all the first time. All that advice about not increasing mileage or intensity too much at once must be getting through.

Fish and chips sounds divine after that effort.

I’m running in a 10 km event next Sunday, and then going to my sister-in-law’s birthday party – a chocolate indulgence afternoon tea. Yay! Yes, I’m looking forward to it.

• celeste 11 June, 2007, 1:42 am

I’m impressed that you are planning to commute this distance regularly. That is very, very impressive! I have to keep reminding myself that you are heading into your summer – it took me a while to understand why you were worried about the heat! I’m rugging up like an Eskimo – I look quite ridiculous.

I’m not sure if you are disappointed about having to jump on the bus or not. But let me tell you, I’m jealous of the distance you managed before the bus!

• XFR Bear 11 June, 2007, 8:29 am